Friday, October 21, 2011

The Clough Undergraduate Learning Commons

I currently work in the Clough Undergraduate Learning Commons, also know as the CULC. Yes, we have an acronym for EVERYTHING here on campus! Well anyways, I work on the floor of the main entrance and I don't have any classes in the building, so I've never really explored it to see what exactly it has to offer. Approximately an hour and a half ago, my boss sent me on an errand to the top floor. The errand should have only taken me 10 minutes at maximum. But of course my curiosity got the best of me (don't you hate when that happens?) and I decided to explore a little bit... okay, a lot.


(me at work in the Center for Academic Success)


I can't believe what I've been missing out on! This building has so much to offer. From the warm smell of Starbucks coffee that reels you into buying a Cafe Misto every time you walk in the building to the contemporary study areas that MAKE you want to study, this building is definitely something to see. Even the modern design of the biology labs makes me want to take another bio class! Okay maybe not that much, but almost.


The CULC serves a variety of purposes. It is the site of GT 1000 classes (a mandatory freshman seminar class that teaches students how to balance life in college successfully) and many other classes. You can also find academic support here. For example, The Center for Academic Success (where I work) offers One-to-One tutoring which allows you to sign up for a free one hour personal tutor for the class of your choice. What I find most breathtaking is the roof of the Clough Commons. There you find a beautiful green garden where you can eat lunch, finish up some homework, of simply relax. Simply put, this place is amazing.